• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

Guinea adopts new mining code boosting state share

Note utilisateur: 0 / 5

Etoiles inactivesEtoiles inactivesEtoiles inactivesEtoiles inactivesEtoiles inactives
 
Guinea adopts new mining code boosting state share

(Audio available further in this article)

CONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinea's parliament adopted a new mining code that more than doubles the share the West African state can take in mining projects to 35 percent and toughens procedures for acquiring development permits, the government said on Saturday.The changes, detailed in a February draft of the code published by Reuters in April, are aimed at boosting the country's share of its vast minerals wealth while providing clarity on the country's laws to investors.

(To listen to this article, click on the player below)

{play}media/mp3/art1892.mp3{/play}

But mining companies lobbied hard against the changes arguing they would undercut their profitability and lead to reduced investment.

"The National Transitional Council (Guinea's interim parliament) made these changes in the interests of the country," Mines Minister Mohamed Lamine Fofana said in a radio broadcast on Saturday. "The new mining code will allow future investors in Guinea to work in transparency."

An NTC official said the code had been adopted unanimously by lawmakers on Friday.

Guinea is the world's top exporter of the aluminum ore bauxite and holds some of the world's biggest unexploited reserves of iron ore that have drawn billions of dollars in planned investment from miner Rio Tinto and Vale.

The West African country held its first free elections since independence in late 2010, ending nearly two years of junta rule that were punctuated by a stadium massacre and widespread reports of corruption.

The new code would give the Guinean state a free 15 percent of mining projects along with the option to purchase an additional 20 percent, bringing total potential share in projects to 35 percent.

That more than doubles the 15 percent share stipulated by the old mining code written in the 1990s, and has drawn protests from mining companies that argue it will cut into their revenues without reducing capital outlay.

The code also toughens up procedures for companies seeking to get a mining permit, requiring them to complete a feasibility study and environmental and social impact studies beforehand.

By Saliou Samb.

 

Exclusif

Bah Oury: Pourquoi Alpha CONDE ne souhaite pas la présence de militaires français

« Le désastre actuel commande que toutes les forces vives de la nation revoient leur attitude vis-à-vis d’un régime qui inexorablement conduit toute la nation au chaos. La lutte contre Ebola exige constance dans l’effort, une solide volonté politique, une gestion rigoureuse des ressources allouées pour servir exclusivement les populations sinistrées et un sens élevé de la responsabilité et de l’intérêt national », dit l’opposant forcé de vivre en exile, Bah Oury, dans une déclaration suivante.

Lire La Suite



AudioNow

Telimele

Bruxelles : les intellectuels, opérateurs économiques et ressortissants de Télimélé se mobilisent.

À Télimélé, " sur 100 enfants, 40 n’ont pas encore la chance d’aller à l’école. 25 pour cent des écoles sont d’initiatives communautaires et dans certaines sous-préfectures, elles représentent environ 50 pour cent des établissements publics  comme à Koba, Kollet, Missirah", rapportent les experts…

Le forum international pour le développement de Téliméle a réuni durant trois jours à Bruxelles de nombreux ressortissants de cette préfecture située à cheval entre la moyenne et la Basse Guinée.

Lire La Suite



Special

CONAKRY : Calvaire des Usagers de la route

La capitale guinéenne, qui a été fortement secouée cette semaine qui finit par de multiples mouvements de jeunes de nombreux quartiers réclamant du courant électrique a vu de nombreux citoyens se terrer chez eux. Les uns excédés par les violences de ces manifestants qui n’hésitent pas à casser des voitures ou procéder à des brigandages, d’autres ne supportant plus les interminables embouteillages.

Lire La Suite



Google Ads

President Obama

Documentaire sur la Guinee. Cliquez ce lien La Pauvre Guinee</a