In wake of attack in Guinea, UN envoy presses for dialogue
(Audio available further in this article)
A senior United Nations envoy today called on the President of Guinea to pursue dialogue with opposition political parties in the troubled West African nation in the wake of the unsuccessful attack on his residence on Tuesday. Said Djinnit, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for West Africa, met Alpha Condé in Conakry, the capital, where he reiterated the UN’s support to the democratic process in Guinea, which has suffered from decades of one-party rule or military regimes.
(To listen to this article, click on the player below)
Mr. Condé escaped unharmed from Tuesday’s attack, which Mr. Djinnit condemned, echoing similar remarks earlier this week from Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and from the UN Peacebuilding Commission.
He stressed the need for the President to pursue dialogue with all political parties, particularly in seeking a consensus over outstanding issues regarding the preparation of repeatedly delayed legislative elections, now slated to be held before the end of this year.
Mr. Condé took office after winning the run-off round of presidential elections late last year, capping off the interim Government’s efforts to restore democracy after a 2008 coup d’état.
L’université Thierno Macka Barry honore ses diplômés
L’université Thierno Macka Barry est située dans le quartier Dabompa, Commune de Matoto. Elle a été fondée en 2006 avec un effectif de cinquante étudiants repartit dans les facultés des lettres et sciences humaines, Droit et sciences politiques et les sciences économiques et gestion. Les trois premières promotions viennent de bénéficier de leurs diplômes. (Audio disponible dans la suite de l'article)
(Reuters) - Rival gangs fought with knives and truncheons in Guinea's crumbling seaside capital on Friday as ethnic tension worsened before an election in the unstable West African nation, witnesses said.
Security forces in full anti-riot gear piled into the backs of pick-up trucks and deployed across Conakry to separate the fighters as President Alpha Conde's government appealed for calm.
"It has become very bad. People set fire to a car right in front of me. I've seen four people injured in the fighting," said Souleymane Bah, a resident of Bambeto, one of several areas where clashes were reported.